We were able to accomplish almost everything on the to-do list and lots more last week. We couldn’t bed the deck organizers, because it rained on Wednesday, which was the only day Harriet could come to work on the boat. We will work it into this week’s schedule.
Last week, I spent all day Tuesday pre-aligning my engine. I needed to at least know where the mounts should end up so I could lift the engine again and drill holes to fill with structurally thickened epoxy.
I had ordered a feeler gauge for this.
First, I needed to align the shaft to the strut, so it wouldn’t grind against the strut while turning. Many shafts sag on the bottom of the strut while on the hard, as did mine. So for my 7/8″ shaft I bought a short length of wet exhaust hose with a 7/8″ internal diameter and slipped it between the shaft and strut.
This lifted the shaft off the strut, although it made it a bit too high in the other direction, so that will need slight adjustment after the boat splashes.
I spent most of the time cutting down more and more of the mounting surface so the engine could fit a fraction of a cm farther to starboard. For the lateral alignment, I had to use the comealong and lift the engine over and over, since my engine doesn’t have mounts that adjust side to side, only vertically. I ended up very sore later that night from this. Not only was I in an awkward position behind the engine, but I had to keep hopping out the companionway and down into the cabin onto a low stepping stool, since the ladder had been removed to access the engine. I must’ve done this 50-70 times that day!
The vertical alignment could be done with the mounts and was physically easier. It was just a long process of twisting the nuts another quarter turn here and there until my feeler gauge no longer fit anywhere, and then I moved down to the feeler of the next smallest thickness, and repeated.
I ended up getting it within .005″.
.005″ might be enough, given that I’ve got a Delrin coupling in between the prop shaft coupling and the engine coupling to allow a little flex. The official Shaft Saver coupling allows for alignment within .009″.
It is empowering to know that I am capable of aligning an engine myself, in case I am ever out there and have to do work that requires lifting up the engine. Still, I would like Meredith to fiddle with the final alignment and check my work, which she will do near the end of the month when the boat is in the water. This will also let us feel how the shaft wants to sit in the water.
Also last week, I re-installed my anchor chain locker bulkhead in preparation for Harriet to install the windlass this week.
First I built up a surface of epoxy putty at the corners and then wetted out some woven roving on top of it, bonding it to the hull and wood. I also put a bunch of epoxy on the front of the bulkhead.
There were some gaps up top. So I cut up some wood pieces and epoxied them into the gaps.
Meanwhile, Harriet bedded a stanchion that had been removed by the previous owner.
She also called Lewmar and got help identifying and taking apart the winch that will be my cabin top winch.
She drilled large holes for the bolts and filled them with epoxy.
She also removed the old Bakelite winches from the steel mounts near the stern, in preparation to install some more functional Barient winches that were given to me by the marina staff. These will go with my other 2 Barient winches, at the mid-cockpit on either side.
I came to the boat several times after work last week and this week too. I stayed till 3am last night and slept 2 hours. I’ll take tonight off so I can be fresh to work on my days off.
But I and a couple other friends got a lot accomplished that I forgot to put on my to-do list, including:
Determining placement of folding padeyes for jacklines.
Making lazy jacks:
Installing mast base plates for blocks (thanks Sam Fiore!)
Adding a real boom topping lift so I don’t have to use the main halyard.
Rigging a 4:1 outhaul and two reef lines on the boom:
And the grand finale…. thank you Meredith Anderson, the diesel mechanic who is also an artist, for painting my boat name!
Harriet will be painting turtles under or to the side of the words, which mean “Turtle” in Spanish. Also under the name on my transom it will say “Seattle, WA.”